Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Weekly Update

Okay, I'm posting this a bit later than I had intended, but I *am* getting it posted! You'll see that we did get the cages up... actually, Thierry did that all by himself. I asked him to help, and the sweetheart did it all before I could get out there to help him! Good thing, too, because the plants have gotten much bigger. If we had waited, I think it would have been tough to get the cages in without injuring the plants. These pics were taken this past Sunday, May 24.

All four plants, definitely bigger than the week before!



Marianna's Peace:


Carmello:


Paul Robeson:


Goose Creek:


We've been getting a LOT of rain during the past two weeks, and I think it's a mixed blessing. I'm glad that (so far) we haven't had to deal with the hassles we had the year of the drought, and the plants are growing nicely with all of the water. I think it's getting to be a bit much, though, and the plants are beginning to show signs of some stress-- the bottom leaves on most of them are curling, and the Carmello is looking just generally droopy. I just hope that things will even out a bit so that I won't have to worry whether they're getting enough nutrients. They are getting blossoms again-- they got a few right after I planted them out, but I believe that was a reaction to the stress of transplanting them. They were way too small at that point to even think about letting them set fruit, so I pinched off the buds and tried not to feel too guilty about it. I'm relieved to see that they are budding again, and hope that it will warm up enough (but not too much!) so that the blossoms won't drop. This is quite a balancing act, which is funny if you think that tomato plants grow wild in other parts of the world without any problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment