Saturday, May 30, 2009

Entering Week Four...

The tomatoes have been planted out for three weeks now, and they definitely aren't "babies" anymore! I'm glad that the next few days are supposed to be sunny, so they can dry out a bit. The bottom leaves were really starting to curl a LOT, so they definitely need a rest from the rain.



I can practically stand at the door to the deck and SEE them growing taller. Overnight, Marianna's Peace grew up past the first ring of the cage. They all also now have flower buds. Even though I took pics of some from each plant, the only one that came out clearly (because I didn't think to use the macro function... duh!) was the one of the buds on Carmello:



Since they're all starting to get blossoms, I'm going to have to separate them to different areas of the deck. I want to save seeds from them and in order for them to remain true to type, they can't cross-pollinate. They may do that anyway, but it's a lot less likely the further they are apart. I'm also going to top-dress them with some tomato fertilizer, since I'm sure all of the rain has leached out most (if not all) of the fertilizer I gave them last week. If they're getting ready to bloom, they definitely need to be fed!

Thierry and I planted the fifth bag last weekend-- with herbs. I had picked up a couple of pots complete with seeds at IKEA when I bought the plant glides there, and have been growing them on my kitchen windowsill. I also picked up a rosemary plant at Trader Joe's about two weeks ago, and we decided to put them all in the last grow bag together.



Besides the rosemary, there are chives, parsley and basil. I'd like to add a sage plant to the mix, but when I went back to Trader Joe's last night they had already sold all of the herb plants they had the week before. Oh well... I'll have to look for one at the nursery!

No comments:

Post a Comment