Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Well Underway

I'm growing even more tomatoes this year than last year, and they seem to be doing pretty well so far. They do have some leaf roll, but it's probably because of the heat we've had. Several of them have set fruit, and most of those are the plants that are supposed to be heat tolerant. So far, Solar Fire is far ahead:





Thessaloniki is another heat tolerant variety:




My Minnie's Pinstripe also has fruit already... I don't know whether this is a heat tolerant variety because the seeds were given away by someone on Tomatoville.com:




Moreton is a new hybrid for me this year:




The Chocolate Cherries are monster plants:




They're a different variety from the cherries I grew last year, but they're just as huge. Already fruiting, too!





Carolina Gold was supposed to be heat tolerant, but both of my plants got burned in the sun and I ended up having to "top" both of them... they're bouncing back well, though, and one of them has even set fruit:




My strawberries seem to be plugging along, but not getting much fruit yet:




I'll need to get some bird netting soon, though, because it's only a matter of time before the mockingbirds and doves notice them and decide they look snack-worthy. Finally, my herbs are doing great! First pic is of thyme, cilantro, sage (only got a couple of sage sprouts so far-- germination for these was not very good) and oregano and the second is of four pots of basil:





I can't wait to start making pesto... I've missed it! This year I want to make and freeze enough to last me through the winter. When the tomatoes start coming in, I can make Caprese salad, too. Really looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment