Wednesday, May 26, 2010

And Mortgage Lifter Pulls Ahead!

I really thought that Pink Potato Top was going to set fruit first, but Mortgage Lifter is actually first, with three babies set already:



I'm glad, because fruit is setting two full weeks sooner than it did last year-- I'm really hoping most of the plants will set some fruit before the weather gets so hellishly hot and the plants start dropping blossoms. My Spudakee Purple has finally developed some tiny flower buds... and the new growth on it is oddly wrinkly and curled, but seems to smooth and straighten out as it continues growing.




I was glad to find that Ananas Noir is putting out new growth-- it's the only plant so far that has no flower buds whatsoever, and I think it's because I accidentally "topped" the plant when I was pinching off suckers. I really do try to be careful, so I can't figure out how I did this. It's a really good thing for me that tomato plants can be so resilient!



I'm going to post one last picture tonight, of the lettuce I'm growing. The bigger plant is one I bought at the farmers' market and the tiny ones are from seeds I just planted this past weekend. I'm amazed at how quickly they came up.



I'm going to let them grow a little bit bigger, then thin them out and use the ones I pull in salad-- I can't wait to taste my own homegrown microgreens!

No comments:

Post a Comment